CONNECT with us
Teaching and Learning

Teaching and Learning

We have been consistently delighted to traverse the Primary School classrooms and feel the buzz of learning and teaching throughout.

Teaching and Learning Gatehouse Inspection Report 2013

Teaching and Learning

Teaching and Learning

IN THE PRIMARY SCHOOL, STUDENTS ARE TAUGHT READING AND WRITING, PERSONAL SOCIAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION (LEARNING FOR LIFE) AND OUR UNIQUE DISCOVERY CURRICULUM (ENQUIRY) BY THEIR CLASS TEACHER.

There is specialist teaching in Music, Mandarin Chinese, Physical Education and Learning Technologies. The English National Curriculum underpins our Primary School curriculum, which we develop and enrich in order to meet the learning needs of our students. In Years 4, 5 and 6, Maths is taught by the student’s class teacher or another teacher within the year group.

Our Discovery Curriculum is a comprehensive, concept driven, creative curriculum for 3-11 year olds, which is taught through an enquiry approach. It contains specific learning goals for every subject, including internationalism and personal learning. It is an approach that helps to prepare students for the future by ensuring that they develop; critical thinking skills, leadership skills, personal skills, technology skills, internationalism and environmental awareness through a rigorous curriculum. Academic outcomes are of course important, and as is the case in the Early Years, we have high expectations of our students in mathematics, reading and writing.

Every year, students in Year 4, 5 and 6 take part in residential camps, under canvas, or in youth hostels or hotels. All trips are driven by our curriculum and are designed to introduce children to new situations and challenges. Our Primary campus caters for students from Year 1 to Year 6. There are 4 classes in each year group. Class numbers are carefully monitored so that appropriate student teacher ratios are maintained at an optimum number of 1 teacher to 24 students. Along with the provision of class teachers, education assistants assist in the classrooms as well as in a range of other areas of the school. 

related events