CONNECT with us
Activities & Trips

Activities & Trips

Activities & Trips

Activities & Trips

OPPORTUNITIES FOR DBIS STUDENTS TO LEARN OUTSIDE OF THE CLASSROOM ARE HIGHLY VALUED AT THE SCHOOL AND SUPPORT OUR HOLISTIC APPROACH TO LEARNING.

Each year group in the Primary School participates in visits, trips and activities to support their social and intellectual development as well as fostering their skills of inquiry and problem solving. The school has many long standing links with organisations both regionally and internationally to ensure the students are involved in rich and diverse learning experiences.

Progression in the nature of the activities and experiences the students engage with is carefully considered by the teachers in planning the outdoor education programme, as is ensuring trips support and enhance the learning taking place within the classroom. Students participate in exciting day visits to places like the Hong Kong wetlands, theatre visits, and visits to explore our local environment. Local museums and places of interest throughout Hong Kong play a key part in helping students to learn about their local environment and the history and culture of the country they live in.

In Years 1 and 2, students regularly spend time learning outside the classroom, whether this be through our Forest School program or just making the most of all the learning opportunities presented in our unique Discovery Bay setting.

Once students reach Year 3, they take part in outdoor education and adventure camps based in Hong Kong, with camp activities linked to the units of learning from our Discovery curriculum.  In Year 4 and 5 these activity camps are residential. In Year 6 the students travel to Guilin in China for a residential trip. The students stay at a hotel in the beautiful town of Yangzhou. Here they experience the local culture from cormorant fishing to hiking and visiting regional villages. The trip also enables the children to practice the Mandarin language skills they have developed in class by bartering in local markets and conversing with children in local Chinese schools.

As part of our membership of FOBISIA, the students also have the opportunity to participate in competitions, festivals and activities both regionally and internationally. There are a number of festivals, related to Creative Arts, where selected students participate with other children from schools from across the region to develop a range of performance skills. The Primary FOBISIA Games also takes place annually. We take a forty two strong squad of boys and girls to compete in a range of sporting disciplines including track and field events, swimming, T Ball and football.